LEWIS H. FINKENBINE
general farmer and well known citizen of Franklin township, whose well improved sixty-acre farm is situated in a desirable section, not far from Sidney, was born in Franklin township Shelby county, O. November 22, 1877, and is a son of John and Barbara (Schiff) Finkenbine. The father of Mr. Finkenbine was born in the city of Philadelphia, in 1831, and was one year old when his parents, who were natives of Baden, Germany, brought the family to Shelby county, O. The mother was six years old when her parents, also of Baden, Germany, crossed the Atlantic ocean to the United States and made their permanent settlement in Shelby county. Of their family the mother was the youngest born. Mr. and Mrs. Finkenbine are among the best known and most highly respected residents of Franklin township and are leading members of the German Lutheran church.
Lewis H. Finkenbine was the ninth born in his parents' family of ten children and he remained with his father, whose agricultural interests are yet very large, until he was twenty-three years old, in the meanwhile securing a good public school education. After his marriage he moved to his present farm, which his wife had inherited from her father, and here, with much success, carries on general farming and moderate stock raising, taking advantage of modem inventions to save labor and increase production.
Mr. Finkenbine was married in December, 1900, to Miss Delia M. Wells, who was born in Clinton township, Shelby county, a daughter of Sylvester S. and Sarah J. (Estey) Wells, who were both early settlers and prominent people in the county. Mrs. Finkenbine is the youngest of their children, the others being: Lilley, who is the wife of William Schlayman: Dacie, who is the wife of Charles B. Miller; and William A. and Arthur.
Mr. and Mrs. Finkenbine have three children, Marie, Emory and Goldie. The family belongs to the Lutheran church. Politically Mr. Finkenbine is a democrat, although in local matters he exercises his own excellent judgment in supporting candidates, seldom accepting any office for himself, although he has served four years as township trustee and also as school director.