"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
BERNARD ASELAGE, a successful farmer owning 160 acres of fine land, which is situated in section 6, McLean township, one quarter mile southeast of Fort Loramie, is one of the representative citizens of this township and is serving in the office of clerk of the Berlin Special School District. He was born in Germany, July 17, 1860, and is a son of George and Helena Aselage, both of whom died in Germany.
Bernard Aselage obtained his education in a German school and remained in his native land until he was twenty-three years of age. Being the only child of his parents he was left alone at their death and came to America by himself, his objective point being Fort Loramie, 0. By trade a carpenter he worked for ten years in this neighborhood as such and for one year in Cincinnati, and then turned his attention to farming. For eighteen months he rented land in Cynthian township, then moved to the Adolph Sherman farm, which he rented for nine years, following which he purchased his present place from Bernard Pille. As the land had been improved and all cleared but eighteen acres of woodland. Mr. Aselage found his first expenditure was the main cost in securing a valuable property and a fine home, the residence being a commodious brick structure. Mr. Aselage took possession in the fall of 1902 and here carries on farming and stock raising under very favorable conditions.
Mr. Aselage married Miss Lena Bruns, who was born in Germany. January 1, 1855, a daughter of Henry and Lena Bruns, and they have the following children: B. H., who lives in McLean township, married Elizabeth Schlater and they have one son, August; William and John, both of whom assist their father on the farm; Albert, who is a student in the Minster high school; and Joseph. Mr. Aselage and family are members of St. Michael's Catholic church, and he belongs to the Catholic Knights of. America. In politics he is a democrat and has served McLean township with honest efficiency in the office of road superintendent, and early in 1912 was elected a member of the board of education as above-mentioned.