"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
JOHN ARLING, who is one of the heirs of the late Henry Arling, and who, with his brothers, Henry,and Frank Arling, carry on the agricultural activities of the homestead, where they have 170 acres of fine land, was born on this farm, situated in section 12, McLean township, Shelby county, O. He is a son of Henry and Mary (Fischer) Arling.
Henry Arling was born and reared in Auglaize county, O., and died on the present home farm in August, 1906, at the age of sixty-six years. He was a faithful member of the Catholic church and an upright man in every relation of life. His first marriage was in Auglaize county, to Elizabeth Leining and they had two children: Bernard, who lives at Fort Loramie, O.; and Elizabeth, who is the wife of Frank Rethman, of the same place. After his first marriage, Henry Arling lived at Minster until he bought his farm of 170 acres in McLean township. Shelby county, a tract that had been but little improved. His first wife died on this farm and his second marriage was to Mary Fischer, who was born in McLean township, a daughter of John Fischer. Mrs. Arling still lives on the old homestead, and she and her children, all belong to St. Michael's Catholic church. To the above marriage eight children were born, namely: John, Henry, Rosa, Katie, Anna, Frank, Caroline and Loretta, all of whom survive except Anna.
John Arling and his brothers and sisters attended the schools near home and the sons of the family have all become capable farmers, industriously carrying on general farming and raising livestock, cattle and hogs. The old home sufficed until 1909 when it was replaced by a more commodious and comfortable one, erected by Mr. Arling and his two brothers. On this farm there are gravel pits which have supplied the material for the building of three turnpike roads but they have not been operated since 1910. John Arling and brothers, like their late father, are all stanch democrats.