Henry A. Ernst
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
HENRY A. ERNST, who, for eight years, has been a member of the board of education of the Sherman Special School District in McLean township, Shelby county, O., owns the old homestead farm in section 10, containing 185 acres of well improved land, situated three and one-half miles southeast of Fort Loramie. Mr. Ernst was born on this farm, March 10, 1867, and is a son of Joseph and Catherine (Barringhaus) Ernst, both of whom died on this place, fine people and faithful Catholics.
Henry A. Ernst has lived on his present farm all his life. He attended the Sherman school in boyhood and has always been interested in advancing the cause of education in this section and hence has consented to serve for so long a time on the educational board. It is to Mr. Ernst and his fellow members that the township looks for the increase and permanence of its school facilities and it is due to their wisdom and liberality that educational work is so far advanced in this part of the county. Mr. Ernst is a busy and successful farmer, carrying on a general line, raising grain, hay and stock, and finds a market for his overplus at Fort Loramie. He has his place well
drained but has not deemed it necessary to replace the buildings that were erected by his father, they being in good condition.
Mr. Ernst married Miss Mary Borchers, a daughter of Barney Borchers, of McLean township, and the family of ten children were born on this farm and all live in the vicinity except the fifth child. Urban, who died when aged two years. The others are: Clemens, Bernard, Louis, Anton, Henrietta, Wilhelmina, Carl, Henry and Mary. Mr. Ernst and family are members of the Catholic church. He has always cast his vote with the democratic party.