Nicholas Charles Enders
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
NICHOLAS CHARLES ENDERS, who at this time (April, 1913) is serving his third term as clerk of Perry township. Shelby county, O., owns over ninety-four acres of land near Pemberton, which he devotes to general fanning and stock raising. He was born at Sidney, O., March 16, 1874, and is a son of Christian and Margaret (Dormire) Enders.
Christian Enders was born in Lengsfeld, Germany, April 7, 1838. At the age of seventeen he came to America and located at Sidney. He was for several years engaged in weaving with his brother Henry, in East Sidney. In the early days of the Civil war he enlisted in Schultz's battery. First Ohio Light Artillery, and was at Shiloh, Murfreesboro, and in several minor engagements. Having received an honorable discharge he returned to Sidney and engaged in wagon making, his place of business being on North Ohio avenue. Soon after engaging in this trade he was married to Margaret Dormire of Green township, with whom he lived until her death, September 20, 1878. To this union were born six children, four of whom are still living: Nicholas C. the subject of this sketch; Jacob H., a fanner in Perry township; George C., dean of the Christian Biblical Institute at Defiance. O.; and Emma E., superintendent of Flower Hospital at Toledo, O.
In 1875 Christian Enders gave up his trade as wagon maker and devoted the remainder of his life to fanning, living first in Perry, and later in Franklin township, where he died June 24, 1902, his burial being at Swanders. In 1879, he married Barbara King of Butler county, who is still living at his late home. To. this union' four children were born: Sadie, wife of Charles Richards, a fanner of Franklin township; Mary, a professional nurse; Herman, a fanner; and Catherine, a school teacher.
Nicholas C. Enders attended the public schools and afterwards was a student in the university at Lebanon, O., for several months, during which time he pursued a commercial course. Previous to this time, he had learned the trades of painter and paper hanger, and after his return from Lebanon he followed these trades for seven years, when he bought his farm in Perry township, upon which he has since engaged in fanning.
In February, 1902, Mr. Enders was married to Miss Daisy Pence, a daughter of Noah and Clara (Wibel) Pence, the former of whom is a retired fanner living at Sidney. Mrs. Enders has one sister, Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Enders' only son, Christian Henry, was born June 26, 1910, and died the same day, but a daughter, Clara Margaret, born April 9, 1912, is living. The democratic party claims Mr. Enders' fealty in national affairs but in local matters he uses his own judgment. He and wife are members of the Baptist church at Pemberton, O.