Harry N. Dickensheets
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
HARRY N. DICKENSHEETS, who conducts a first class grocery at No. 6 South Main avenue, Sidney, is numbered with the representative business men of this city, and was born at Sidney, O., January 21, 1868, a son of Jesse L. and Melissa (Williams) Dickensheets, and a grandson of David Dickensheets, who was a pioneer settler of Shelby county. Jesse L. Dickensheets was born after his parents came to Shelby county and spent his entire life here, dying when his son was but eighteen months old. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Dickensheets removed to Plattsville, Shelby county, where subsequently she was married to David Sibert, after which they settled on his farm in Orange township.
On his step-father's farm Harry N. Dickensheets grew to manhood, attending the country schools and assisting with the farm industries, and then went to Piqua where he learned painting and paper hanging and from there came to Sidney. Here he became a contracting painter and continued until an attack of typhoid fever interrupted work at his trade. On March 3, 1902, he embarked in the grocery business at his present location, buying out S. D. Voress, and has prospered in this undertaking.
Mr. Dickensheets was married to Miss Jenette Johnston, of Green township, and they have one son, Jesse Johnston, a youth of nineteen years. Mr. Dickensheets and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal church. He has been identified with the Knights of Pythias for a long period, for ten years being master of finance in the Sidney lodge, and belongs also to the Odd Fellows, the Red Men, the,Tribe of Ben Hur and the Knights of Khorassen. He is by no means active in politics but belongs to that class known as the quiet, effective, dependable citizens.