Wyant A. DeWeese
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
WYANT A De WEESE, who is operating his wife's farm of eighty acres, which is a part of the Gearhart estate and lies in Perry township, Shelby county, O., is one of the best known and highly regarded citizens of the county in which for over twenty-five years he has been a successful school teacher. The De Weese name is well known throughout Shelby county in other connections for the family has long been one of sturdy character in this section. He was born on the land that his grandfather entered from the Government as early as 1804, on October 1, 1867, and is a son of Leonidas and Margaret (Thompson) De Weese.
Leonidas De Weese was born on his father's pioneer farm in Perry township, and now lives retired at Sidney, O. His first marriage was to Margaret Thompson, who died January 18, 1891, and she was the mother of eight children, namely: Laura D., who married A. L. Gibbs; Hamilton G.; Wyant A.; Thornton N., who died September 25, 1910; Hattie M., who married A. C. Dill; Lagurna, who married W. L. C. Sturm; Bertha, who married O. S. Vance; and Thurman G., who is a bookkeeper in a bank at Norwalk, O. The second marriage of Mr. De Weese was to the widow of his brother, N. W. De Weese, Mrs. Mary Ellen De Weese, who died in February, 1911; and the third marriage was to Lucy Mowen, and they now reside at Sidney.
Wyant A. De Weese completed the common school course and then entered the Normal School at Ada, O., where he prepared for the profession of teaching, receiving his first certificate from A. B. C. Hitchcock. Since 1866 he has spent a part of every year in the educational field, mainly in Shelby county but also in Logan county, and in every neighborhood he finds a friendly welcome from some who have, at one time or another, profited under his instruction.
On February 14, 1897, Mr. De Weese was married to Miss Marilla Gearhart, a daughter of Anthony and Elizabeth A. (Burditt) Gearhart. They were Ohio people and the father of Mrs. De Weese was born in Miami county and the mother in Hancock county. The latter resides in the home of Mr. and Mrs. De Weese, the father having died some years since. They had two children: Marilla and George L., the latter of whom owns eighty-four acres of excellent land in Perry township. Mrs. De Weese is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically he is a stanch democrat, as is his father, and he has served two terms as township trustee and on many occasions has been chosen as an official of educational organizations. His only fraternal connection is with the Knights of Pythias at Quincy.