George D. Anderson
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
GEORGE D. ANDERSON, who resides on his well-improved farm of seventy-nine acres, situated near Ballou, Shelby county, O., owns another farm of seventy acres, which lies in Miami county one mile south of where he lives. He was born in Green township, Shelby county, in 1859, and is a son of William B. and Elizabeth (Dorsey) Anderson.
Both parents of Mr. Anderson were natives of Shelby county and their lives were spent here, the father dying when his son, George D. was two years old, and the mother in 1883. The father was a farmer. Eight children were born to them, namely: John, who is deceased; Mrs. Elvira Hume, who lives in Green township: T. J., who lives in Champaign county; Clara, who is deceased; W. H., who lives in Green township: Mary and Charles, both of whom are deceased; and George D., the youngest born.
After his school days were over, George D. Anderson decided to become a farmer and remained at home until he-was twenty-four years of age and then went to Kansas and for seventeen years was a resident of that state, with varying fortunes, and then returned to Shelby county and ever since has been interested in improving his properties and in carrying on his agricultural industries. He erected a new residence on his Miami county farm and placed everything in excellent repair on his place near Ballou, and it is probable that Ohio will continue his permanent home notwithstanding the advantages that other sections may offer. During a part of his term of residence in Kansas, Mr. Anderson served in the office of justice of the peace.
Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Hannah A. Wert, who was born in Green township, Shelby county, and they have the following children: W. O., Mrs. Florence Hagerman, Ray, Leroy and Earl. In politics Mr. Anderson is a democrat. He gives liberal support to the Christian church to which he and family belong, and he is identified fraternally with the Odd Fellows at Plattsville.