William D. Davies
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
WILLIAM D. DAVIES, who, for twenty-seven years was a representative member of the bar at Sidney, O., was born at Iowa City, Iowa, January 20, 1848, came to Sidney in 1875, and died in March, 1902. He was a son of David and Mary Davies, and a grandson of Thomas Davies, both natives of Wales. David Davies and wife had three children: Thomas; Sarah, who married Thomas Davies; and William D.
William D. Davies passed his early youth on his father's prairie farm. Later he attended the Iowa State University, read law for three years and in 1870 was admitted to the bar in Iowa City. Afterward, until 1875, he traveled for different railroads, then came to Sidney and purchased the office and business of Judge Thompson and continued in the active practice of the law in this city until his death. He made an honorable record and at different times was professionally identified with much important litigation.
Mr. Davies married Miss Isabelle Mathers, who was born at Mifflintown, Pa., a daughter of James and Amelia (Evans) Mathers, and a granddaughter of Gen. Lewis Evans, who was prominent both in military and professional life in Pennsylvania. Mrs. Davies had one sister and two brothers, namely: Margaret, who is the wife of Dr. L. E. Atkinson, of Mifflintown; Lewis E., who died in 1873 was cashier of the Citizens Bank at Sidney; and Orlando Owen, now deceased, who was auditor of Shelby county for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Davies had one daughter, Amelia, whose young life closed in her twentieth year, having survived her father but two years. Mr. Davies was a consistent member of the Congregational church all his life. He was an open-hearted, broad minded man and had a wide circle of attached and admiring friends. He was a Knight Templar Mason.