"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
CONRAD CRUSEY, proprietor of the Crusey Grocery Company, operating a first-class grocery store on the corner of Walnut and Fair avenues, Sidney, O., is one of the representative business men of this city and has practically spent his life here. He was born at Sidney, November 28. 1853, and is a son of Stephen and Agnes (Sousa) Crusey.
Stephen Crusey and wife were born in Germany. In the fall of 1849, Stephen Crusey with his own family and with his father, John Crusey, and two brothers, John and Michael Crusey, set sail for America and during the voyage that lasted fifty-five days, forty-two of the passengers died of cholera. Finally the survivors were landed at New Orleans and took passage on a Mississippi river steamboat for Cincinnati. The germs of the deadly cholera, however, were in the system of the aged father and he suffered a severe attack but finally recovered and subsequently lived in robust health into advanced age, his death occurring at Muncie, Ind. After reaching Cincinnati the travelers proceeded by canal to Piqua and from there came to Sidney by wagon. Stephen Crusey was a machinist by trade but the circumstances that surrounded him on reaching the United States did not favor his securing employment at this trade and for some years he was variously employed, but always industriously. At one time he purchased a small farm in Auglaize county, O., but as it was in the woods he never worked it but kept it until he could sell to advantage and made seventy dollars by his prudence. His first job of work after coming to Sidney was on the Wapakoneta turnpike road, his wages being eight dollars a month. Afterward he started in the business of selling stoves, traversing the country in a wagon and carrying the stoves with him to the farms where he found customers and when he made one dollar a day and his expenses, he considered that he was doing a very satisfactory business and was able to save money. Later he worked for a foundry as cupola, tender and afterward was employed for a short time at the old still house, where he fortunately saw the dangerous character of the work in time to leave it, three other workmen less observant being killed on the following day. He assisted in putting in new machinery and became night engineer and turned the first wheel that ever revolved in the still house. Later Stephen Crusey and his brothers opened a brickyard, its site being what is now known as Gramercy Park, and for many years he carried on this business. Retiring at last he spent some quiet, restful years prior to his death in January, 1910, when aged eighty-eight years, having survived his wife since 1888. One son, Edward, who was born in Germany, is now in the grocery business at Sidney.
Conrad Crusey attended the public and parochial schools at Sidney and as a boy worked in his father's brickyard and afterward, for eighteen years, was in the liquor business. In 1906 he embarked in the grocery line and carries a large and carefully selected stock, catering to the city's best trade.
Mr. Crusey was married in 1875 to Miss Nettie Wise, of Muncie, Ind., a lady reared at Sidney from the age of seven years, and they have three children : Agnes Jane, who is the wife of Bert E. Binckley, of Cleveland, by whom she has five children, Helen, Dolores, Marion, Paul and Sarah; Milton S., who married and fives at Sidney, has three children, Frances Marie, Jennette Rose and John Anthony; and Nicholas John, who married Agnes Redindo, lives at Sidney and has two sons, Adrian and Nicholas. Mr. Crusey and family are members of the Holy Angels Catholic church.