Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Amos Family

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 229

AMOS FAMILY
(Ernest C., Howard A., James O., W. T.)

In 1903 The Shelby County Democrat, job department and The Sidney Daily News were incorporated under the name of The Sidney Printing and Publishing Company and have been continued ever since as a corporation. J. O. Amos, Delia E. Amos, W. T. Amos, E. C. Amos and Howard A. Amos became the active members employed in the company, the three latter having learned the printing trade during their school vacations. Delia Amos had entered the office after she had finished her course in the high school.
The office of The Sidney Printing and Publishing Company now has an eight page Cox Duplex newspaper, press, three job cylinder presses, two platten presses, two linotype typesetting machines, two gas engines, a power paper cutter, power wire stitching machine and card cutter and was recently equipped with new type.
For the past five years it has given constant employment to twenty people, all skilled in the department in which they work. In each year of that time it has used an average of over 200,000 pounds of paper per year in the newspaper and job departments in the office.
The plant is considered by men engaged in the printing business to be one of the best equipped, to be found anywhere. A systematic arrangement of the machinery with an ability to turn out the very best in the printing line has resulted in the building up of a large business. Anything in the printing line that can be done anywhere can now be done in Sidney and the output of this establishment includes anything from a small visiting card to large bound books. Letter heads, envelopes, printed stationery of all kinds, anything in the bill line, the finest half tone and three color work is handled with neatness and dispatch at this printing establishment. Their line of work not
only includes circulars and catalogues for the local factories but it has taken large orders for catalogues and circulars, which have come to them through bidding from some of the larger cities of the state.
James O. Amos was the owner of the plant from January, 1876, until it was organized as a company in 1903 and has been president of the company ever since. He was born in Monroe county, near Beallsville in 1833. He grew up on the farm, attending school in the winter and worked on the farm in the summer. At the age of eighteen he began teaching school and between the age of eighteen and twenty-seven he continued teaching school and working on the farm. With the exception of one term, in an academy his education was obtained in the common school and private study at home. While on the farm he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1859, and immediately began the practice of law. In 1861 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Monroe county and served two terms. He was appointed school examiner in 1860, an office he held until 1870, when he resigned after he had been elected to the senate from the nineteenth district. He served two terms in the Ohio senate and in 1874 was appointed adjutant general, a position he held for two years. During his administration of the adjutant general's office, the nucleus for the present system of the Ohio National Guard was founded. He also settled $144,000 worth of claims between the state of Ohio and national government, whereby the old condemned arms that had been given to the state during the Civil war were turned back to the national government and credited up to the state. The state drew in place of these Springfield breech loading rifles. At the expiration of his term of office he came to Sidney and purchased The Shelby County Democrat, a history of which is given above. In 1878 he was appointed a school examiner in Shelby county serving three years and refused a re-appointment. In 1891 he was elected to the senate to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Senator A. J. Robertson. He enjoys the distinction of having been elected to the senate of Ohio from two separate districts, an honor that no other citizen of the state can claim. Besides his connection with The Democrat and Daily News he has been in a small way identified with several of the manufacturing enterprises in Sidney, more from the purpose of encouraging the growth of Sidney than from a financial object. His work as an editor and publisher for the past third of a century has been an open book before the people of Sidney and Shelby county almost everyone of whom know him and who are better able to judge the manner he has filled the difficult position before them, than he is himself.
Delia E. Amos, now Mrs. Horace Holbrook, was closely identified with The Democrat ever since she graduated from the Sidney high school and was the manager of The Daily News from the time of its first publication to November, 1905. She was an all around employee of the office. During her connection with the paper she traveled extensively in this country, Mexico, Europe, Egypt and the Holy Land. She wrote over one hundred letters descriptive of her travels which were very much appreciated by the readers of The Democrat and News. She has delivered a number of lectures on her travels and newspaper work. She is president of the Ohio Women's Press Association, a position she has held for three years. Four years ago she was married to Horace Holbrook and they went to California and published the Yreka News for more than a year and then sold out and purchased The Western Reserve Democrat at Warren, where she has a beautiful home.
W. T. Amos, who has been business manager of The Sidney Printing and Publishing Company for the past ten years, was educated in the Sidney schools from which he was graduated. He spent one year in West Point Military Academy. He then entered the Wooster University from which he graduated in 1891 and immediately entered the office of The Democrat and News, having learned the trade during his school vacations. He at once became a useful and active man in the office and soon became the general manager. Soon after he graduated from the university he was elected captain of Company L, Third regiment, Ohio National Guards, a position he filled during the Spanish American war. After that war the Third Regiment was re-organized and he was made lieutenant colonel, the position he still holds. At present he is the ranking lieutenant colonel in the Ohio National Guard. He has charge of the extensive job department of The Sidney Printing and Publishing Company. He is known by every business man in the: county. He is a director in the First National Exchange Bank since its organization and a director of the Sidney Home Telephone Company. Ernest C. Amos was born at Woodsfield, Ohio, arid was educated in the Sidney public schools. After graduating from the Sidney high school he entered Wooster University from which he graduated at the age of twenty-one. After graduating he entered the office of The Democrat and News as local editor, which position he held for a number of years, subsequently becoming bookkeeper, circulation manager and all around man in. the office. He has been treasurer of The Shelby County Building and Loan Association for the past two years.
Howard A. Amos was born in Columbus and was educated in the Sidney schools. After leaving the high school he entered the job department of The Sidney Printing and Publishing Company. He worked several months in the Chicago Legal News Record office. At the age of twenty he became foreman of The News composing room which position he held several years when he became city editor of The Democrat and News, a position he still holds.
Miss Katherine Amos entered the office after Mrs. Holbrook retired and has been actively employed in the business department ever since. After graduating from the Sidney schools she entered the School of Art at Columbus from which she graduated. She has taken post graduate courses with several of the leading artists of this country and taught in her profession in Sidney, Cambridge and Barnesville. She has traveled extensively in this country, Europe, Egypt and the Holy Land and her many letters on her travels were published in the News and Democrat.


Owner/SourceDiana (Souders) Smith
AlbumsBiographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show