Dr. H.S. Conklin
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
DR. H. S. CONKLIN, In 1836, when Sidney had a population of about one thousand, Dr. H. S. Conklin came to Sidney. The country for miles around was wild, the roads merely trails or paths through the forest and enough game remained in this section to furnish hunting grounds for a few Indians. A physician's practice extended over a large area and carried with it a great deal of genuine exposure and hardship. Sleep was often found in the saddle, while the saddle-bags were capacious enough to carry both medicines and surgical instruments. The subject of this sketch was born in Champaign county, Ohio, in 1814, and read medicine with Dr. Robert Rogers of Springfield. He graduated from the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati in 1836 and at once located in Sidney where he continued practicing up to his death in 1890. He was surgeon for the state militia for fifteen years and held the offices of president and vice president of the State Medical Society, and was surgeon with General Fremont during the war. He was largely instrumental in securing the D. and M. and C. C. C. and I. railways for Sidney. A great lover of line stock, he indulged his fancy to the fullest extent. A man of splendid physique, with a mind so astute as to enable him to arrive at a diagnosis of a case with almost unerring correctness, he was wise in counsel and sought for all over the state. In 1538 he married Miss Ann Blake, a native of England and raised a family of three children.
History of the Shelby County Agricultural Society
"On the 12th of April, 1839, the legislature of the state passed "An Act to Authorize and Encourage Agricultural Societies in the Several counties in the State and Regulate the Same."
"The first annual meeting of the society was held on the 27th day of June, 1840, when the following officers were elected:.....corresponding secretary, H. S. Conklin....."
"On the 8th of October, 1840, the board met at the office of Dr. H. S. Conklin, and fixed the time for holding the first county fair on the 17th of October, and at the same time prepared a premium list amounting to $45.00."
"The third annual fair was held on the 5th and 6th days of October, 1853, on the grounds west of Sidney (known as the Jordan property), then owned by Dr. H. S. Conklin. There were 181 premiums awarded at this exhibition, consisting of silver cups, money and diplomas. A greater and variety of domestic and miscellaneous articles were on exhibition than at any previous fair held in the county. The display of poultry was the largest that had been seen in the county. A premium was awarded to Dr. Conklin for a fine specimen of rat terrier dog."