"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
W. O. AMANN, Among the old and reliable business houses of Sidney, is that of W. O. Amann, jeweler and optician, who has been established in this line and at his present location, No. 112 North Main avenue, for the past thirty-three years. He was born at Sidney, O., February 17, 1855, and is a son of Ferdinand and Catherine (Wagner) Amann.
Ferdinand Amann was of French extraction. By trade he was a tailor and in the forties established himself at Sidney and later went into the hotel business, owning what is now the Wagner hotel, which he conducted during and after the Civil war. He became prominent in county politics and served out two terms as county treasurer, one of his sons, Benjamin B. Amann, succeeding him in the office. He married Catherine Wagner, a member of a very widely known and substantial family of this section. Ferdinand Amann died at Sidney in 1874 but his widow survived into advanced age, her death occurring in 1904.
W. O. Amann was reared at Sidney, where he has always lived with the exception of two years, during which period his parents resided at Fort Wayne, and he was educated in the public and parochial schools. He learned the watchmaking trade with the late C. Schwerer and later purchased his instructor's business and has conducted it ever since, in point of business being the oldest man in this line in the city.
Mr. Amann married Miss Catherine Robertson, a daughter of Wallace W. Robertson, of Sidney, the latter being a brickmason, who died at Sidney in 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Amann are members of the Catholic church. In politics he is a democrat and for the past twelve years he has been chairman of the democratic judicial district, which includes Shelby, Auglaize, Mercer and Allen counties.