Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Forest D. Christian

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 673

FOREST D. CHRISTIAN, who conducts what is generally acknowledged to be the best equipped drug store in western Ohio, located at Sidney, has been a resident of this city since the summer of 1897, with the exception of a few months, during which period he managed a drug store at Nicholasville, Ky. Mr. Christian was born September 3, 1873, at Versailles, O, and is a son of Samuel and Lydia E. Christian, his father being a farmer and stock dealer in Darke county.
Forest D. Christian attended the public schools at Versailles and after graduating there entered upon an apprenticeship to the drug business under J. G. Steinle, an old and experienced drug man, and during 1895 and 1896 was a student in the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy, and after completing his professional course returned to Versailles and from there on July 5, 1897, came to Sidney. He accepted a position with H. W. Thompson, druggist, and remained with him until September, 1899, in September of that year going to Nicholasville, Ky., where he managed a store, as alluded to above, returning to Sidney on April 6, 1900, when he took over the management of Mr. Thompson's store. In 1904 he purchased a one-half interest in the store, and on July 30, 1908, after Mr. Thompson's death, bought the latter's interest and has been sole proprietor since that time. In addition to carrying the most complete line of drugs and drug sundries in northwestern Ohio, Mr. Christian handles a complete line of patent medicines of known merit, together with a complete line of physicians' supplies, doing a very extensive business in this department in this and adjoining counties. He also caters to public convenience by devoting space to books, stationery, periodicals, perfumes, camera supplies and other sundries, his stock covering all that is usually found in a modem drug and book store and is one that has been carefully selected with a view to pleasing a very discriminating public.
Mr. Christian was married to Miss Florence E. Hardman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sol Hardman of Versailles, O., on May 12, 1897, she at that time being a popular teacher in the Versailles schools. Mrs. Christian is an accomplished musician and since coming to Sidney has been one of the active members of the city's leading musical organizations. She is prominent in social and church affairs. Mary Bess, the daughter and only child, is spending her first year in the city high school, a pleasant little lady taking particular interest in her music and getting along nicely in her regular school work. Mr. and Mrs. Christian and daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons and Knights of Pythias, being past chancellor in the latter organization, and is a member of the local branch of the United Commercial Travelers. He has shown his public spirit in many ways since becoming a permanent resident of Sidney and is an active member and a former director of the Sidney Commercial Club.


Owner/SourceDiana (Souders) Smith
Linked toForest D. Christian

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show