Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

William Cashner

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 558

WILLIAM CASHNER, a highly respected citizen and retired farmer of Shelby county, who occupies his comfortable residence situated on South Ohio avenue, Sidney, was born in Dinsmore township, Shelby county, O., April 23, 1843, and is a son of John and Barbara (Walburn) Cashner.
John Cashner and wife were born in Pennsylvania and were married there a short time before coming to Ohio. They settled in Montgomery county and spent one year on a farm south of Dayton and about 1833 came to Shelby county, settling on a heavily wooded tract of land in Dinsmore township. They were among the first white settlers and found many Indians remaining in this section, while, for years afterward, wolves howled unpleasantly near the farm-house at night and a close watch had to be maintained to prevent the deer coming from the forest and pawing out the winter wheat. Game was plentiful and there was no lack of food, but other pioneer conditions brought many hardships which only courage and brave endurance could overcome. John Cashner died on this place when aged but fifty years, but his widow, of more robust constitution, survived into her eighty-seventh year. Their original farm contained forty acres, to which Mr. Cashner had added twenty acres.
William Cashner was about nine years old when his father died and he then accompanied his mother to Champaign county, where they lived for two years, in 1860 returning to Shelby county. Choice and immediate opportunity made a farmer of Mr. Cashner and after coming back to his native county he worked for more than a year for John Bush, south of Sidney, and afterward for other farmers over the county for twenty-six years. He then invested in farm land in Wood county, O., on. which he lived for three years when he disposed of it and for two more years rented a farm in Orange township, Shelby county, belonging to an uncle, Benjamin Wilt. From there he went to Auglaize county and lived on a rented farm for seven years and then returned to the former farm in Orange township, which he rented for nine more years, and in 1894 purchased it and continued to reside there until June, 1910, when he bought his home in Sidney and retired from active life. Shortly afterward he sold his farm, which he had greatly improved, realizing $12,000, which was a profitable investment as he had paid but $5,000 for the property.
In 1873 Mr. Cashner was married to Miss Valerie L. Rush, a daughter of Jesse and Jane (Martin) Rush. She was born in Franklin township, Shelby county, O., but her father was born in Pennsylvania and her mother in New York. They were married in Greene county, O., and for many years lived comfortably as farmers in Franklin township, Shelby county, where the father died in 1866 and the mother in 1888. Mr. and Mrs. Cashner have three children: Charles C., who is clerk in the Oliver Hotel at South Bend, Ind.; Nellie Jane, who is the wife of Milton Haney, a farmer in Orange township, and they have one child. William Don; and William Dow, who is a bookkeeper in the great commercial house of Montgomery Ward & Co., Chicago, Ill. Mr. Cashner and wife are members of the Presbyterian church. Although ever a wide awake and interested citizen, Mr. Cashner has never been very active in political life and never accepted any public office except membership on the school board in Orange township.


Owner/SourceDiana (Souders) Smith
Linked toWilliam Cashner

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show