"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
F. M. CARPENTER, a well known citizen of Orange township, whose excellent farm of eighty-two acres is situated six miles south of Sidney, O., has spent the greater part of his life in this county, but his birth took place in Miami county, O., in December, 1862, a son of J. C. and Rebecca (Darlington) Carpenter.
J. C. Carpenter was born in Pennsylvania and when he came first to Ohio settled at Dayton, in Montgomery county, removing from there to Miami county, and afterward settled on a farm west of Lockington, and from there went to Springfield, Mo., dying on his farm there when aged seventy-five years. He married Rebecca Darlington, who survives with nine of their twelve children.
F. M. Carpenter obtained his education in the public schools of Shelby county, afterward engaged in farming on the home place in Missouri, for eight years, and then returned to Shelby county and purchased his present farm in Orange township from John Young. He has erected all the farm buildings on the place and made many desirable improvements. In addition to carrying on general farming, he devotes attention to raising Percheron horses, having registered mares and a valuable stable, his fine Percheron stallions Clay Center, Isba and Jaures, being among the most valuable animals in the county.
Mr. Carpenter was married to Miss Dora Valentine, a daughter of Samuel Valentine, and they have four children: Irene, Earl, Caldwell and Howard. Politically Mr. Carpenter is a republican and is now serving in the office of township trustee. He is identified with the Odd Fellows, at Kirkwood; and he and wife attend the Methodist Episcopal church at Lockington.