Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Henry Cargill

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 798

HENRY CARGILL, who is one of the old and substantial business men of Port Jefferson, 0., where he has conducted a general store for the past fifty years, and, in association with his son, owns five farms in Shelby county, was born at Zanesville, O., April 25, 1833, and is a son of David and Mary A. (Wyant) Cargill. They were natives of the state of New York. Their family consisted of three children that grew to maturity: Andrew, Henry and Mrs. Ward.
Henry Cargill attended the schools of Zanesville, afterward worked on a farm and at the cooper trade until he embarked in his store enterprise. In 1849 the family moved from Zanesville to Piqua and in the same year he came to Port Jefferson. In 1850 his parents moved on a farm north of this place and he made his home there until permanently established in his present business. He married Louisa Elliott, who was born in Shelby county and died here, her burial being at Port Jefferson. Four children were born to them, three of whom are deceased, the one survivor being David Judson, who is a representative citizen of this place.
David Judson Cargill, who, for a number of years was a veterinary surgeon in active practice but now professionally retired, was born in Shelby county, O., September 1, 1867. After completing the common school course at Port Jefferson he attended the Normal School at Lebanon, O., for two terms and subsequently the Ohio Veterinary College, at Cincinnati, from which he was creditably graduated. Since then his home has been at Port Jefferson and he resides in the old homestead with his father, in association with whom he owns five valuable farms in Shelby county. He is identified fraternally with the Masons at Port Jefferson and belongs to the Commandery at Sidney, O., and also is a member of the Knights of the Golden Eagle at Maplewood, and the Odd Fellows at Port Jefferson. Both father and son are republicans and the latter served as town treasurer for a number of years and for several years past has been treasurer of the cemetery at Port Jefferson. Henry Cargill is one of the pillars of the Methodist Episcopal church at Port Jefferson and the enviable reputation among those who know him best and with whom he has spent the greater part of his life is that of a man of unswerving honesty, upright in thought and deed.


Owner/SourceDiana (Souders) Smith
Linked toHenry Cargill

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show