"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
R. O. BINGHAM, superintendent of the Wagner Manufacturing Company of Sidney, O., a member of the library board and a citizen of sterling worth, was born at Baltimore, Md., August 25, 1850, and is a son of Alfred Hugh and Rebecca (Evans) Bingham, the former of whom, for some years, was superintendent of cotton mills in Maryland.
In the infancy of Mr. Bingham, his parents moved to Alexandria, Va., and there he attended school. He afterward served an apprenticeship of four years to the machinist trade and worked in cotton mills until 1871, when he came to Sidney, O. Here he entered the machine shop of G. G. Haslup & Brother, where he remained for seven years, in the meanwhile being first made foreman and later superintendent. During these seven years the business name had been changed to the Sidney Manufacturing Company. In 1888 he went to Marion, Ind., with Mr. Gould and Mr. Fruchey, on account of inducements offered by capitalists in that city, and for three years the partners conducted works for the manufacture of hollow ware and stoves, when their plant was burned. Mr. Bingham then came back to Sidney and ever since has been identified with the Wagner Manufacturing Company as its superintendent. This important business enterprise of Sidney started with twenty men and at present 300 are given employment, all of whom, in their industrial activities, come under the careful superintendence of Mr. Bingham.
In 1881 Mr. Bingham was married at Sidney to Miss Alice Conklin, a daughter of the late Judge Conklin, and they have two children, Florence and Hugh, both of whom have been afforded exceptional educational advantages. Miss Florence was educated in Miami University at Oxford, O. Hugh is a graduate of the Wesleyan University at Delaware, O., and during 1910-11 was an instructor in the Sidney high school, and at present is a student of law in the Western Reserve College. The mother of these children died in March, 1908.
Mr. Bingham has always taken a public spirited interest in city improvements since he came to Sidney and for thirteen years served as a member of the school board; in 1910 being its secretary and its president in the following year. He has held other municipal offices and for many years served as a member of the board of trustees of the city waterworks. As a member of the Commercial Club, Mr. Bingham has encouraged its aims and on many occasions his sound business advice has been followed. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and a Knight Templar in Masonry.