Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

T.M. Beamer, M.D.

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 584

T. M. BEAMER, M. D., an experienced medical practitioner now somewhat retired from professional activity, resides on his well-kept farm of sixty acres, situated six and one-half miles southeast of Sidney, O. He was born at Fletcher, O., in 1854, and is a son of Dr. Thomas M. and Jane (Runkle) Beamer.
Dr. Thomas M. Beamer was born in Virginia and for twenty-five years was a valued physician and surgeon at Fletcher, O. and was prevented from becoming a soldier in the Civil war on account of being the only medical practitioner in the above town at that time. His death occurred at the age of forty-five years, while living in California. He married Jane Runkle, who was born in Mad River township, Clark county, O., and eight children were born to them.
T. M. Beamer was seven years old when he was sent to the home of his grandparents in Illinois, where he remained for three years, attending school in the meanwhile, then returned to his father and afterward went to Iowa with his brother, and again returned to Fletcher. While with his brother he learned the principles of medical science and about this time had one term of lectures in the Cincinnati Medical College. During the next year he practiced medicine in Missouri, after which he returned to Ohio and completed his medical course and entered into practice at Fletcher. On March 27, 1879, he located at Plattsville, in Shelby county, and continued until 1902, when he accepted a position as manager of a sanitarium at Springfield, O., for the cure of alcohol and drug addictions, conducted by the Willowbark Company, removing later with the same company, to St. Paris, and after, two years, to Piqua, but shortly afterward decided to engage in agricultural pursuits and moved to the Sarver farm in Green township, Shelby county. After his many years of professional work and during a number of years meeting with many distressing cases, Dr. Reamer found the quiet country life most beneficial, and in 1910 purchased the farm on which he now resides and where agricultural industries greatly interest him. He still continues to practice to a certain extent, in his neighborhood, but no longer makes his profession his main occupation.
Dr. Beamer was married in 1879 to Miss Anna Elizabeth Williams, of Plattsburg, and they had one son, born October 13, 1880, who is deceased. In politics Dr. Beamer is a republican and ever since he came to Green township has been township treasurer and also is a member of the school board. For many years he has been identified fraternally with the Odd Fellows.


Owner/SourceDiana (Souders) Smith
Linked toThomas M. Beamer

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show