SAMUEL WRIGHTS (1818-1895)
The farming interests of Cynthiana Township, Shelby County, are well represented by this gentleman, who is classed among its most progressive and wide-awake farmers. He was born near Oxford, Butler County, this State, February 15, 1818, and is the son of Nicholas Wrights, who was born in Northumberland County, Pa.
The father of our subject took up his residence in this State about 1808, locating in Butler County, where he entered a quarter section of land. He cleared a farm in the wilderness, erected thereon a log house, and into that rude dwelling moved his family. There they made their home for a number of years, when Mr. Wrights sold out and purchased a farm in Miami County, which was his home at the time of his death, which occurred in 1866, when in his eighty-sixth year. He was a Soldier in the War of 1812, and had a brother who lost his life in the Revolutionary War. He was an influential member of the German Reformed Church, and was one of the very early settlers in Southwestern Ohio.
Grandfather Wrights was also a native of the Keystone state, where he spent his last days. At one time, he visited his son in this State, making the journey hither on horseback. Tile maiden name of our subject's mother was Margaret Bresler.
Like her husband, she was born in Pennsylvania and departed this life in 1861, a consistent member of the German Reformed Church.
The original of this sketch was the sixth in order of birth of the parental family of ten. He was born in a log cabin and received his education in the primitive school, which was conducted in a log cabin, and for the instruction received during three months of the year the father had to pay fifty cents for each of his children. He of whom we write, when starting out in life for himself at the age of eighteen years, learned the trade of a tanner. Two years later, he went to Cincinnati, where he worked for three months without wages, it being his desire to perfect himself in his chosen vocation. Returning home, Mr. Wrights opened up the first tan yard in the county, which was located on his father's farm, and which he operated successfully for five years.
In 1847, our subject came to this county and entered land on section 35, Cynthiana Township, which property was then in a wild state. Having erected a comfortable log house on his place, he was married, in 1823, to Miss Esther Leighty, (daughter of Samuel and Susannah (Hobbler) Leighty, natives of Pennsylvania. The parents of Mrs. Wrights came to this State in an early day and made their home in Montgomery County until 1824, at which time they took up their abode in this county, where the father cleared and improved a tract of land in Cynthiana Township. He departed this life in August 1861, when in his sixty-second year, and was followed to the better land by his good wife, who died six years later. They were devoted members of the German Reformed Church and reared a family of five children, only three of whom are living.
After his marriage, Mr. Wrights entered at once upon the work of clearing and improving his property, having brought to his new home two yoke of oxen. In 1852, he erected a tannery and was engaged at his trade for over thirty-six years, his leather always bringing the highest market price because of its excellent quality. When locating in this county, wild game of all kinds was plentiful, but our subject found no time for hunting, as his business interests occupied his time and attention. He made the rails and built the fences around his farm, being unable to hire help, as his means were very limited. He has been a resident of his present farm for nearly half a century, and in tilling the soil and in raising stock he is very successful, thus demonstrating his ability in a line very foreign to that which he adopted in early life. His estate bears the usual improvements found upon good farms, and he is interested in all movements, which promise to increase the prosperity of his community.
To Mr. and Mrs. Wrights have been born nine children, namely; Leander, who married Susannah Short; Martin, who married Eliza J. Deavins; Theodore, who married Amanda Stump; Margaret, the wife of Dr. John F. Kinney; and Samuel, Robert, Charles and Albert, all at home. Susan is deceased.
Mr. Wrights is a decided Democrat in his political sentiments, having cast his first Presidential vote in 1840, and represented his party as a delegate to various county conventions. He has been Director in his school district for many years, and has served on the jury frequently. He is found among the most zealous members of the German Reformed Church, and contributes liberally of his means towards its support.
He of whom we write is the proprietor of one hundred and eighty-two acres of land. Located on section 35, which has been brought to its present condition by his own efforts, as he has not only made the noticeable improvements, but, as before stated, did the clearing and fencing. The acquisition of this fine property is a standing monument to the industry and good judgment of the man, who began his work in the world without means, but now stands upon a sound financial basis. In addition to the property above mentioned, Mr. Wrights owned another farm of eighty acres, which he gave to his sons, Leander and Martin.
The father of our subject when a lad, and residing in Pennsylvania, was one day sent to the mill on horseback. When on the way, he was overtaken by a man mounted on a white horse, who proved to be Gen. Washington. The latter asked the lad many boyish questions about what his father thought of the bad man who had fought so many battles, and in which so many men were killed. The lad replied that his father thought the man was great and good. The stranger then told him to tell his father that he had met Gen. Washington.
Transcribed by J Fred Madden Centerville, Ohio
From THE PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD
OF AUGLAIZE, LOGAN AND SHELBY COUNTIES OHIO
Chapman Bros. Chicago Dated 1892
Note: The Family Surname evolved from Reitz to Wrights to Wright