Joseph H. Barhorst
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
JOSEPH H. BARHORST, one of the leading citizens and successful agriculturists of Cynthian township, owner of a fine farm of 120 acres, situated in section 34, three miles southwest of Newport, O., is a member of the township board of trustees and has also served on the board of education. He was born in McLean township, Shelby county, January 20, 1872, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (Schultze) Barhorst.
Joseph H. Barhorst was reared on his father's farm and attended school in the Berlin special school district. Since his marriage he has resided on his present farm, which he purchased from his father who had bought the same from George Wishwitz, and has done the most of the improving. He has a very fine barn, 80x40 feet in dimensions and other substantial buildings. In addition to carrying on general farming, Mr. Barhorst keeps a herd of high grade cattle for dairy purposes and sells his milk to the New Bremen Creamery.
Mr. Barhorst was married to Miss Anna Ungruhn, who was born and reared at St. Rose, a daughter of Joseph and Catherine Ungruhn, and they have had nine children: Magdalena, Bernard, Veronica, Frank, Clara, Freda, August, Joseph and Mary, all of whom survive except August, the third youngest, who died at the age of five months. All the other children have attended school in the Turner special school district, which is a tract of forty acres, on the northwest corner of this farm, of which it was originally a part. Mr. Barhorst and family belong to the Catholic church at Newport, O. In politics he has always been a democrat and personally is looked upon as one of the solid and reliable men of this section.