"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
BERNARD BARHORST, who is one of the substantial men of McLean township, Shelby county, O., resides in section 4, two and one-half miles east of Fort Loramie, where he owns 245 acres of fine land. He was born in. this township, one-half mile south of his present farm in the Sherman special school district, September 24, 1866, and is a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Grieshop) Barhorst.
The father of Mr. Barhorst spent his life in McLean township, following. farming as his occupation, and died here when aged seventy-seven years. The mother, who was born in Germany, died when aged seventy-two years, in Mercer county, O., and there were six sons and two daughters in the family. The parents were members of St. Michael's Catholic church.
The Barhorst children were not neglected, their parents sending them to the Sherman district school until all were well instructed. Bernard remained on the home farm imtil his marriage, when he moved to his present property, all of which he has under cultivation except thirty-six acres which is still in woodland. He has put in many improvements here, erecting and remodeling buildings, enriching and draining the land, and, with the help of his sturdy sons, does a large agricultural business.
Mr. Barhorst married Miss Magdalena Ernst, who was born in McLean township, a daughter of Joseph Ernst, and nine children have been born to them, namely: Catherina, Joseph, August, Edward, Leo, Charles, Ursula, Urban and Paul. Mr. Barhorst and family are members of St. Michael's Roman Catholic church. In politics he has been a democrat since reaching man's estate, but has never sought political office, although his party might find in such men as Mr. Barhorst the honest and careful officials that a community needs for the practical carrying out of the laws.