Orla A. Baker
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
ORLA A. BAKER, who is one of the substantial men of Shelby county, O., the owner of two farms aggregating 204 acres, situated in Perry township, and a member of the firm of Baker & Harris, implement dealers at Port Jefferson, O., is one of the enterprising young business men of this section. He was born on his father's farm in Perry township, August 31, 1881, and is a son of Martin A. and Christena (Smith) Baker. The father died in February, 1909, but the mother survives and resides at Jackson Center. The
family consisted of three children: Ida, who is the wife of Cory Hoak; Oria A., and Elza A.
In the public schools of Perry township Oria A. Baker secured his education, after which he became interested in agricultural pursuits and successfully carried on farming and moderate stock raising, confining himself to the same until 1910, when he became interested additionally at Port Jefferson and since March 1, 1912, he has been the senior member of the firm of Baker & Harris. This firm carries a full line of hardware and handles all kinds of agricultural implements. While Mr. Baker cannot be regarded as a politician, he is a stanch democrat and gives loyal support to his party's candidates and without asking for political preferment for himself.
On December 31, 1903, Mr. Baker was married to Miss Ella E. Zedeker, who was born in Shelby county and is a daughter of Oliver and Margaret (Lawhead) Zedeker. Mrs. Baker has one brother, Clyde. Mr. and Mrs. Baker have one son, Ralph Emerson, who was born May 3, 1906. They are members of the Disciples church. He is connected with the Knights of Pythias at Maplewood, and with the Knights of Khorasan at Sidney, O.