Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Misc. Photos

Misc. Photos



Matches 1 to 50 of 64    » Thumbnails Only     » Slide Show

1 2 Next»

   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
1
Ohio National Guard Armory, Sidney, Ohio
Ohio National Guard Armory, Sidney, Ohio
 
 
2
Camp Shelby
Camp Shelby
 
 
3
Shelby County Children's Home
Shelby County Children's Home
The home was dedicated November 4, 1897 and was opened a short time later. The children from Shelby county had previously been living at the Logan County Children's home, but were transferred back to Shelby county after the new Children's home was built.
In 1903, a two-story school, with grades 1 through 4 on the first floor and grades 5 to 8 on the second floor, was built from the money left in the will of Mrs. Mary Barkdull (d. 1898). In 1939, the school was closed and the children were sent to Orange Township school located on Rt. 25. In 1865, the school was torn down.
The main building in the center is the only part still there. The other buildings were the "Boys' Cottage and Girls' Cottage". They, and the covered corridors linking them to the main building were torn down years ago. 
 
4
Citizens National Bank
Citizens National Bank
 
 
5
Citizens National Bank
Citizens National Bank
 
 
6
City Building & Transaction Office
City Building & Transaction Office
 
 
7
Country Club or Moose Club & Golf Course
Country Club or Moose Club & Golf Course
Located on Broadway Ave., Sidney, Ohio.
The building in this picture has since been remodeled. 
 
8
County Infirmary
County Infirmary
 
 
9
Covered Bridge
Covered Bridge
Located over the Great Miami River on Lockington-Kirkwood Road
The bridge was built in 1851, but was destroyed by arson in 1939. 
 
10
Cemetery Entrance
Cemetery Entrance
 
 
11
Home of Esther Morris
Home of Esther Morris
 
 
12
Sidney Fire Department
Sidney Fire Department
 
 
13
Sidney Fire Department
Sidney Fire Department
 
 
14
G. C. Murphy's, 1st National Bank, & Willman Furniture
G. C. Murphy's, 1st National Bank, & Willman Furniture
 
 
15
Graceland Cemetery
Graceland Cemetery
 
 
16
Graceland Cemetery
Graceland Cemetery
 
 
17
G. Webers Place
G. Webers Place
also shown are the law offices of C. C. & L. W. Marshall and office of Dr. S. G. Goode 
 
18
NOT G. Webers Place-current day photo
NOT G. Webers Place-current day photo
this is actually 200 block of court street. 
 
19
Shelby County Infirmary
Shelby County Infirmary
A Visit to the County Infirmary ~ 1876
(From Shelby County Democrat, April 1876.)
Shelbyana January 2004, No. 98 page 4

As many of the Shelby County citizens are interested in the Infirmary, both as a matter of benevolence and becasue all have a financial interest, we publish some of our observations.
One end of the building is used for male inmated and the other for remailes. Through the middle of each story in both ends are halls connectiing with the main hall through the middle of the building and deparated by dorrs that are kept locked. The rooms for the superintendent and family are adjoining the main hall, placing them between the male and female occupants.
In the rear of the main building is the mad house, meat house, shops, etc.. The mad house is well arranged for ventilaton and e protection of the vicious insane and for the preservation of their lives.
The bakery is suplied with a single kneading chest and an oven where eighty loaves of bread, of as good a quality as can be found anywhere, can be baked at one time. On the third floor of the building are the water tanks, where an ambundance of water is always on hand for the supply of the building.
In the kitchen iis the cooking range, elevators and such conveniences as are necessary to supply the table, arranged so as to reduce the amount of help required.
The building is heated with steam collected by iron pipes in heating boxes in the basements and conveyed to the different parts of the buildin, with an arrangement for heating the mad house, located at six rods distant from the main building.
The farm is in good order and in a good state of cultivation. The inmates numer about eighty, all of whom except for a few children are insane, imbiciles or otherwise unfit or unable to care for themselves They are required to keep themselves in good, cleanly condition, a rule that is strictly enforced. They are fed meat, bread, milk, coffee, potatoes and other items of plain, substantial food.
Having visited all public asylums and institutions in the State of Ohio, we are satisfied the shelby county Infirmary is kept as well, or better than most.

----------------------------------------------------

County Infirmary Burned Down
(From Shelby County Democrat, 14 September 1906. Article Headline is misleading)
Shelbyana January 2004, No. 98 page 3

The Shelby County infirmary was visited with a disasterous fire early Wednesday morning. The large barn was burned to the ground with all its contents. the origin of the fire is not known. It is thought that it was accidently set on fire by tramps who had probably stopped in the barn to spend the night sleeping.
The fire occurred between 2 and 3 o'clock. Some time after 2 o'clock Mrs. SHOWERS, the wife of the superintendent, was awakened by a strange noise. After listening a while she thought it was a team and wagon going along the road. While still listening she heard a noise that sounded like the horses stamping at the barn. She then awakened Mr. SHOWERS, but before they had got from their rooms they heard the farm bell ringing When they got out they found the barn enveloped in flames. The entire inside seemed to e on fire and the flames were coming from all the windows. However the roof, which was slate, was still intact as was the frame work.
The fire had been discovered by some of the inmates of the hospital and they and rung the farm bell. The barn is located east of the man building of the infirmary and Mr. and Mrs. SHOWERS have their room in the northwest corner of the building. When Mrs. SHOWERS was awakened she could see no reflection from the fire and neither she nor Mr. SHOWERS discovered the fire until they stated to the barn to see what was the matter with the horsed, just after the bell rang.
When they got to the barn they could not get near it on account of the heat. The hog stable, which stands near the barn, was saved by carrying water. If the wind had not been blowing in the opposite direction the hog stable would have been burned also despite the efforts put forth.
The barn was burned to the ground and everything in it destroyed Its contents consisted of seven horses, six calves, two farm wagons, surrey, buggy, fanning mill, 650 bushels of threshed wheat from last year's crop, 1000 bushels of unthreshed wheat, 600 bushels of unthreshed oats, 15 tons of hay, some corn, all the harness and many other smaller articles.
The loss is estimated at $12,000. There was only $2,000 insurance carried on the barn and contents. All the horses lost were exceedingly good ones. the infirmary Directors were offered $600 for the bay team. The gray team cost $450. Another bay horse cost $215, one driver cost $160 and the other driver was valued at $140.
The fire will be a great loss and cause great inconvenience at the infirmary, necessitating the hiring of all the hauling and the farm work and necessitating the purchasing of grain, etc., for the institution besides making purchases to replace the articles burned and the rebuilding of the barn, which will be a great inconvenience while building.
Mr. SHOWERS says there was no signs of fire when he closed the barn at dusk and none of the inmates are allowed about it after its being closed in the evening. 
 
20
Central School Building
Central School Building
The photo has on it that this is on North Main. However, Central School is actually on the corner of Miami St. and Poplar St., between Puplar St. and North St. 
 
21
Church Revival
Church Revival
 
 
22
Construction on the Railroad Bridge, Sidney
Construction on the Railroad Bridge, Sidney
 
 
23
Home & property of Isaac Betts
Home & property of Isaac Betts
 
 
24
M.E. Church and Parsonage
M.E. Church and Parsonage
 
 
25
Maxwell's Mill
Maxwell's Mill
 
 
26
Memorial Building
Memorial Building
 
 
27
Military Drill Team-1910
Military Drill Team-1910
 
 
28
Miller's Swimming Pool
Miller's Swimming Pool
Located on S. Brooklyn Ave. in Sidney, Ohio. 
 
29
Monumental Building
Monumental Building
Located at the NW corner of S. Ohio Avenue and W. Court Street.
It was built as a memorial to Civil War Soldiers from Shelby County, Ohio - those who died and thosewho served. The monumental building was completed in 1876. It housed city offices (fire, police, mayor), an Opera House on the third floor and a Public Library was located ub the north portion of the first and second floors. The offices gradually moved out, relocating to other buildings. Afterwards, the building fell into disrepair. In 2000, the building was renovated and now houses the city Municipal court, etc.
"Sgt. Baker" is in the niche in the front of the building under the pointed "roof". "Roll of Honor" Tablets were moved from the 2nd floor to the first floor to the Veteran's Office where the can be seen from the sidewalk. 
 
30
Ohio Building-Under Construction
Ohio Building-Under Construction
"Here are some photos of Sidney Ohio. My grandfather, Stanly Bryan lived there from 1920 to 1929. He lived in the Bonnyconnellan castle.
My mom was born in the castle in 1924. Stanly owned the Venus Chocolate factory and he built the Ohio Building. Pictures attached.
He lost it all in the 1929 market crash." ~Mike Kramer 
 
31
Old Shelby County Jail
Old Shelby County Jail
Located on the corner of Main St. and Court St. 
 
32
Old Shelby County Jail and Sheriff's Residence
Old Shelby County Jail and Sheriff's Residence
Located on on the SE corner of S. Main Street and E. Court Street in Sidney, Ohio.
The new jail was built on Gearhart Road, south of Sidney. The Old Jail is currently empty. 
 
33
Old Stone Bridge - Poplar St. (Sidney)
Old Stone Bridge - Poplar St. (Sidney)
 
 
34
Orphan's Home ~ 1905
Orphan's Home ~ 1905
 
 
35
Peoples Savings & Loan
Peoples Savings & Loan
 
 
36
Rauth & Thompson Dealers
Rauth & Thompson Dealers
 
 
37
Residence of Thomas Holmes
Residence of Thomas Holmes
 
 
38
Roll of Honer Tablets
Roll of Honer Tablets
Located in the Monumental Building Sidney, Ohio.
The plaques were created in the memory of the Shelby county men (and boys) who died in the civil war. The Tablets were installed in the Monumental building in 1878, three years after the building was erected. The name of each soldier was engraved in marble with their names highlighted in gold.
The Tablets were moved from the 2nd floor to the first floor to the Veteran's Office where the can be seen from the sidewalk. 
 
39
Sgt. Baker
Sgt. Baker
Located in the niche in the front of the Monumental building. 
 
40
Shelby County Fair
Shelby County Fair
 
 
41
Shelby County Orphanage ~ Sidney, Ohio
Shelby County Orphanage ~ Sidney, Ohio
 
 
42
Sidney Fire ~ Mar 19, 1914
Sidney Fire ~ Mar 19, 1914
 
 
43
Sidney Post Office
Sidney Post Office
 
 
44
Sidney Trolley
Sidney Trolley
 
 
45
Sidney Trolley
Sidney Trolley
 
 
46
Spot Restaurant
Spot Restaurant
Restaurant was started in 1907 and has been running continously since. The building has been remodeled inside and out over the years. It is located on the SW corner or S. Ohio Ave and W. Court St. in Sidney. 
 
47
The Masonic Temple
The Masonic Temple
 
 
48
The Venus Chocolate Factory
The Venus Chocolate Factory
"Here are some photos of Sidney Ohio. My grandfather, Stanly Bryan lived there from 1920 to 1929. He lived in the Bonnyconnellan castle.
My mom was born in the castle in 1924. Stanly owned the Venus Chocolate factory and he built the Ohio Building. Pictures attached.
He lost it all in the 1929 market crash." ~Mike Kramer 
 
49
Thedieck Department Store Fire ~ 1914
Thedieck Department Store Fire ~ 1914
 
 
50
Thedieck Department Store Fire ~ 1914
Thedieck Department Store Fire ~ 1914
 
 

1 2 Next»