Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

The Memorial Building

The Memorial Building



Matches 1 to 6 of 6    » Thumbnails Only     » Slide Show

   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
1
Memorial Building
Memorial Building
 
 
2
Monumental Building
Monumental Building
Located at the NW corner of S. Ohio Avenue and W. Court Street.
It was built as a memorial to Civil War Soldiers from Shelby County, Ohio - those who died and thosewho served. The monumental building was completed in 1876. It housed city offices (fire, police, mayor), an Opera House on the third floor and a Public Library was located ub the north portion of the first and second floors. The offices gradually moved out, relocating to other buildings. Afterwards, the building fell into disrepair. In 2000, the building was renovated and now houses the city Municipal court, etc.
"Sgt. Baker" is in the niche in the front of the building under the pointed "roof". "Roll of Honor" Tablets were moved from the 2nd floor to the first floor to the Veteran's Office where the can be seen from the sidewalk. 
 
3
Roll of Honer Tablets
Roll of Honer Tablets
Located in the Monumental Building Sidney, Ohio.
The plaques were created in the memory of the Shelby county men (and boys) who died in the civil war. The Tablets were installed in the Monumental building in 1878, three years after the building was erected. The name of each soldier was engraved in marble with their names highlighted in gold.
The Tablets were moved from the 2nd floor to the first floor to the Veteran's Office where the can be seen from the sidewalk. 
 
4
Sgt. Baker
Sgt. Baker
Located in the niche in the front of the Monumental building. 
 
5
City Building & Transaction Office
City Building & Transaction Office
 
 
6
Sidney 1923
Sidney 1923